I'm on a year long journey to cook something each week that I've never cooked before.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 11: Candyland 2: The Revenge - Popcorn Cake!

It's been a busy week, sandwiched between two trips out of town, so I decided to do something fun and new if not terribly ambitious.  While wandering through the interwebs I happened upon the perfect thing, a Popcorn Cake!

Honestly, I'm not sure what to say about the process.  I used Pop Secret Butter popcorn and got a great yield from the two bags.  I noticed while making it that it says right on the bag "Do not use the 'popcorn' button on your microwave."  I was amused, but followed the advice and it worked perfectly.  No more "popcorn" button for me!


I added the M&Ms and pretzel sticks.


I melted the butter, added in the marshmallows and cooked it until it was one delicious mass.


I mixed it all together.  You really have to make sure you get it mixed well.  Pockets of molten marshmallow like to hide on the bottom.

I didn't use a bunt cake pan since I don't have one and didn't want to buy one just for this.  I just spread it out like rice crispy treats, and left it to cool.



Verdict:  Delicious, of course.  It was like a giant popcorn ball!  I liked the addition of chocolate and pretzels as well.  It gives it a good variety of flavors and textures, especially because the popcorn tends to soften.  The M&Ms are little bursts of surprise flavor as you chew.

If I ever do it again I'll use a different kind of popcorn, though.  This one was fine, but I'd prefer it to be even saltier to contrast with the sweet more.  Maybe I'll use leftover popcorn from the movie theater!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds very good. I've made popcorn balls, before but I like how this looks less messy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the saltier popcorn. I was thinking that same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Bookmarked, and yes, please! Can't wait to make this for a group sometime. This looks wonderful.

    Trace

    ReplyDelete