I'm on a year long journey to cook something each week that I've never cooked before.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Extra Credit: Jerky

I'm going to call these kinds of post "Extra Credit" because they don't push my goal of cooking new things, but they are cooking projects that are more advanced than "empty packet into bowl and microwave."

I decided to make the extra brisket into jerky.  There are two ways that I make jerky at the moment.  The first is with a very quick, intense marinade and the second is with a longer soak.  Since we were going to be gone for the day yesterday I did a long soak.  The marinade is pretty easy:

2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 tsp liquid smoke

I like jerky so much that a few years ago I bought a meat slicer.  So I used that to slice the brisket into roughly 1/8th inch thick slices.  Then I tossed it all into a ziploc and put it into the fridge.

We were gone longer than I thought we would be, so it got an extra long soak.  I hope it doesn't turn out too salty, but it probably wont bother me too much if it is.  I am a fan of salt.

It's still spinning in the dehydrator for the rest of the day, so I'll let you all know how it turns out and update the condition of the corned beef later today.

2 comments:

  1. Ahem. WHOOooOO bought a meat slicer? As I recall, it was a thoughtful birthday gift from your loving wife, along with a dehydrator to replace the one that got abandoned in Arizona...

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1 on the next level maneuver with the ownership of the meat slicer! That's gotta make some amazing jerky.

    ReplyDelete