I'm on a year long journey to cook something each week that I've never cooked before.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Quick Start

I'll be posting something slightly more ambitious tomorrow, but I did, in fact, make something today that I've never made before: Egg Salad.

The primary reason I've never made egg salad before is that I used to hate it.  Well, to be clear I should say that I hated every egg salad sandwich I'd ever eaten for the majority of my life.  But as I've gotten older my tastes have changed and although I would hardly call egg salad a "favorite" of mine, it can be quite tasty.

The reason I made it today, though, was both in regards to my goal of trying to make new things, and a matter of convenience.  You see, in the process of making one of her fabulous lunches for our daughter (you can read all about it at http://bitingmyhand.blogspot.com/) my wife made some hard boiled eggs, and there were a couple of extras.  So, I decided to try my hand at egg salad.  I first checked to see what Alton Brown had to say on the subject.

Side Note:  You will hear a lot about Alton Brown on this blog over the course of the next year.  He is a hero of mine, a great chef and food scientist.  Many of the recipes I will be trying will be ripped directly from Good Eats or any of his books.  I'm currently reading Good Eats: the Early Years, so expect some of my first efforts to come from there!

Alton does not appear to have an egg salad recipe, which is just as well, since he'd assuredly want some spices I don't have handy to make it perfect.  So I googled "Simple Egg Salad" and up popped a very simple recipe:

6  hard boiled eggs
3 TBS Mayo
1 TBS Mustard
1 TBS Relish
Salt to taste

Well, I only had two eggs but some quick math reduced the ingredients nicely and I whipped up a batch.  It was pretty darn yummy.

OK, so it's about one step more complex than making popcorn in the microwave, but that's not the point, really.  I'd never made it before, now I have, and I liked the result.  A++.  Would make again.

If you want to be dazzled, stick around.  I do have some big plans this year.

Also, it's kind of a freebie, because my actual planned food to make this week for the first time is steel cut oats.  I'm about to put them to cook overnight as we speak. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment