I'm on a year long journey to cook something each week that I've never cooked before.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quick Sauce: Update on Current Projects

The corned beef is coming along nicely, which is to say it's been sitting quietly in it's bag of brine for two days now.  It's appearance looks normal to me, so not much to say except I don't seem to have screwed anything up too badly yet.  The bag has a very small leak somewhere (probably in the top) as I keep finding liquid in the tray with it.  At the rate it's leaking, though, it's in no danger of anything major happening before the beef is done.

The jerky is both good and bad.  Good in that it tastes awesome!  Totally yummy!  Bad however in that I made a rookie mistake with it.  I was in a hurry when I cut it and forgot to turn it against the grain.  This wouldn't be a huge problem with the roasts I generally use for jerky, but with a brisket it makes it incredibly tough to chew.  It's on the edge of inedible for most people, I would imagine, but I don't mind a little exercise as I eat.  I just can't eat much of it at a time.  Ah, well, lesson learned.  Next brisket jerky will be cut properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment